INNOVATION AND TECHNOLOGY: CREATING JOBS AND DRIVING NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT
A technology focused project for job creation and youth empowerment. We will be partnering with global technology organisations, educational institutions, and state offices for ICT to facilitate development by bringing skills, knowledge and opportunities to Nigeria’s youth.
TEACHING SKILLS; DEVELOPING LEADERS
Innovation and Technology: Creating Jobs and Driving National Development
Africa’s most populous nation has a youth unemployment crisis. In Nigeria, nearly a quarter of the population is unemployed with a further 20 percent underemployed. The World Poverty Clock shows Nigeria has the most extreme poor people in the world, with 86.9 million Nigerians now living in extreme poverty, representing nearly 50 percent of its estimated 180 million population. The statistics grow more frightening as The Ministry for Labour and Employment has projected that the unemployment rate for this country will reach 33.5 percent by 2020.
To combat poverty and underdevelopment, forward thinking countries leverage innovation and technology to engender growth and transformation. From agriculture to health, education, business and industry, societies are harnessing emerging technologies to solve problems and create true progress.
In order to ensure that Nigeria and her burgeoning youth population are not left behind, we have to be intentional about engaging with the youth:
Providing education about opportunities for growth
Skilling, reskilling and upskilling the ready labour market with expertise for surviving and thriving in today’s economy
Empowering the ready workforce with job opportunities by creating infrastructure that facilitates development
Connecting young people to job opportunities
This conference and training series will be taken across all of Nigeria. The conference will be held in the capital city in each state and the Federal Capital Territory. We will be partnering with private organisations who lead the way in technology and innovation, as well as individual state offices for ICT, job creation and youth empowerment to bring skills, knowledge and opportunities to Nigeria’s youth.
From hands-on practical demonstrations of various technologies being applied to solve local problems, to introducing new and exciting professions and certification opportunities, this series will offer what the youth need the most: the knowledge to succeed and the tools to realise personal and career growth.
Content & Focus Areas
The series will include sessions on the following:
- Understanding the role and impact of technology in development.
- Computing in Business – web development, developers, digital marketing, digital technology and marketing certifications, social media marketing and mastery.
- Data collection storage, Cloud Computing, Virtualization and certification.
- Encryption and blockchain – cyber security, data security, network security.
5. Data sciences and analytics – analytics certification – python, developer etc
6. Computer handling and speed – certifications such as Microsoft etc. in this space.
7. Personal Development – improving awareness and identity, developing talents and potential, building human capital and facilitating employability.
8. Starting and running small businesses.
- Understanding the uses and language for various aspects of and professions in technology.
- Understanding requirements and certifications for employability in these spaces – training and certification cost, study time duration, the different organisations and opportunities they offer.
- Understanding economic opportunities available in technology
- Technology and entrepreneurialism: understanding each topic area and its application for innovation.
- Learning how to start and manage small businesses
- The Innovation Now series will be a standout exhibition, bringing together thought leaders, industry experts and some of the most brilliant young minds Nigeria has to offer. Speaking at this event will be an opportunity to impart the young audience while establishing your personal brand as an industry leader and change maker.
- The series will be well publicised, enjoying considerable publicity from local and global media, as well as social media. It will offer a boost in followership, with presentations, demonstrations and keynote speeches being published on leading, relevant platforms.
- Innovation Now will serve as a veritable career fair to pitch talent and attract engaged youth.
- Speakers will get the opportunity to teach skills on the day or meet a young audience interested in upskilling and reskilling.
- It will be an opportunity for thought leaders, government ministries, and business and youth leaders to showcase their dedication to youth empowerment.
- The series will be annual, visiting all 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory. It therefore offers nationwide coverage for companies, showcasing your products, services and job opportunities to an engaged audience.
- This will be the country’s largest even focused on economic development, youth empowerment and technology.
- The series is unique, bringing together stakeholders across government, educational institutions, technology companies and other corporate entities.
- This hands-on event doubles as a career fair where companies can acquaint the audience on their job opportunities, the certification requirements, and the path for enrollment and qualification.
- This is a chance to enlighten the new generation of job seekers on the importance of other key roles that are required for any organisation to thrive: HR, coaching, sales, marketing and content creation, to name a few.
- The event will be attended by thought leaders and established technology & business experts, offering a platform for networking and meeting specialists from aligned industries.
- Post event, we will develop and deliver custom training programs that will allow companies to meet their CSR goals in skills and education training as a strategic human capital development index.
MAKING IMPACT; DRIVING CHANGE
Offering this level of opportunity to Nigeria’s youth is not without its cost. From financial support for the facilitation of the events, to support in kind – event venues, prizes for hackathons and event activities, branded merchandise and event-specific discounted certifications, to time dedicated for training and mentoring – support in creating employable youth for the next phase in Nigeria’s evolution is welcome. Areas requiring funding:
- Marketing – advertising in digital and print media to source attendees
- Facilitator fees – Travel, accommodation and honorarium
- Conference / Training venue
- Conference materials – Bags, notepads, IT stations
- Hackathons – Prizes, Stations
- AV systems
- Administration fees